[Update: The latest news on new pattern is here - IIT JEE 2013: Finally resolved with a new formula [JEE advanced for ranking, JEE main for filtering and XII marks for eligibility]
So finally there is an end to confusion among students regarding the entrance test for IITs, NITs and IIITs.
From 2013, all aspiring students will have to attempt the new format of entrance test. The new entrance test will also take class 12th board results into consideration. The announcement was made by HRD minister Mr. Kapil Sibal today as was promised earlier.
Here are key points about the announcements -
1. The entrance test will have two parts – Main Test and Advanced Test. Both the tests will be conducted on the same day.
2. The selection process for IITs and other central funded institutes (NIT, IIIT etc) will be different.
3. Selection to IITs – Selection to IITs will be a two step process. The first step will be filtering process. In this filtering process, 12th board results and the main test will be give 50 percent weightage each. In the second step, the top 50,000 students will be selected for the advanced test after taking into account their performance in the filtering step – 12th board marks and the main test. For selection to IITs, merit only in the advanced test will be considered.
4. Selection to centrally funded institutes- For admissions to other institutes, there would be 40 percentage weightage for performance in class 12, 30 per cent weightage to performance in main and 30 per cent in the advanced test. Class 12 marks will be considered after normalization. This is same as what was proposed earlier.
5. IIT council has agreed to move to the other system later from year 2015.
6. Student will get a rank for IITs and also a rank for NITs and IIITs. Student will give choice for both and will get a seat depending on which is first choice in either.
7. The main test will be multiple choice type paper
8. The advance test will be decided by the joint address board (JAB) of the IITs. As it is known that IITs prefer subjective type of question, it is likely that this might be a subjective type paper. Sibal has made it clear that JAB of the IIT system would have complete control on matters such as paper setting, evaluation and preparation of merit list over the advanced test.
9. CBSE will provide administrative support for conduct of the examination.
10. An expanded joint admission board will be constituted including the NIT, other centrally funded institutes and state government representatives for conduct of the main examination.
11. The state boards will have the flexibility to adopt the new format the determine their own relative weightages for state engineering institutes.
12. Those who have appeared in the Class XII Board examinations in 2012 and wish to improve upon their performance can appear again for the Board examinations in 2013. The CBSE and the State Boards will make appropriate arrangements through a special dispensation.
13. The exam will be called JEE.
Now this answers a lot of questions students were facing in past few months. However, there are still some questions that would need quick answers
- Why is this decision taken in haste? Why from 2013 itself, when some of the students are already halfway through their studies?
- What would be the syllabus for main test and advanced test?
- How many times can one student appear for this test?
- Earlier, Mr. Sibal had noted that this exam would be conducted more than once a year. Does it still hold?
Do you have more questions? What do you think about the new pattern? Are you happy with the decision? Please comment.